CHAPTER FOUR DATA ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION 4
DATA ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION
4.1. Socio-economic Characteristics of Sample Respondents
The socio-economic characteristics of sample respondents in this study include age, sex category, occupation, educational level and income.
4.1.1. Sex ad Age of Respondents
Table 4.1: Age-sex Composition of Respondents
The sample households of the study were 147 respondents, out of which 96 (65.9percent) were males and the remaining 51 (34.1 percent) were females. Thus, the analysis of the sex of the respondents show that majority of households in the study area are males. With regard to the age structure of the respondents 21 (14.3%), 58 (39.4%), 24 (16.8%), 30 (20.5%) and 14(9%) were in age between 20 to 30, 31 to 40, 41 to 50, 51 to 60 and 61 and above year respectively. The greater part of the respondents? age is between 31 and 40. This indicates that they are mature to provide well organized response concerning the current provision of water supply.
Education is one of the significant factors that create educated citizens who work for the socio-economic development of the countries. As Table 4.2 shows that, out of the total sample population, 12(8.2%) of respondents were illiterate, 23(15.7%) household finished their elementary education, 27(18.4%) of the respondents were high school complete, where as the number of diploma holders was 32 (21.7%). Majorities of the households 53 (36%) were the first degree holder and above. As the investigation result clearly shows most of the respondents in the study were qualified enough with respect to the educational status they possess and few were not yet finished high school education.
4.1.3 Monthly Income of Sample Household